Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Mozart, a child prodigy


Quotes of the Day:
"I am never happier than when I have something to compose, for that, after all, is my sole delight and passion." -Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

"When I am . . . traveling in a carriage, or walking after a good meal,or during the night when I cannot sleep; it is on such occasionsthat ideas flow best and most abundantly." -Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was born on January 27, 1756 in Salzburg Austria. Mozart is considered one of the greatest musical geniuses of all time, authoring over 600 works before his premature death at 35.Mozart, the son of orchestra leader Leopold Mozart, showed remarkable musical aptitude early in life. He was playing the harpsichord by the age of 4, composing music at 5, and performed his first recital at age 6 for the Empress of Austria. Recognizing his enormous talent, his father devoted most of his time to his son's musical education, and taking him on concert tours throughout Europe.Mozart left Salzburg in 1781 to seek his fortune in Vienna. He married there in 1782. Mozart made his living performing and selling his compositions and giving music lessons. No longer a child prodigy he had difficulty earning sufficient income to support a family. He died in poverty in 1791.Mozart excelled at nearly every kind of musical composition. He wrote 22 operas, over 40 symphonies, and composed a great amount of church and chamber music. Much of Mozart's work is still performed and enjoyed today.

I find it facinating that though he was a genius, Mozart still died in poverty. His music is beautiful. I play some of it on piano and enjoy it quite alot.

By the way, check out the pic. The poor kid wore a grey wig, what's up with that? He was only six in that picture.

3 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

no kidding! I wish that I was as smart as he was.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Coie Watson said...

Can you post something new? I'm tired of seeing the poor 8yo with a grey wig.

-Coie, the unofficial blog police/slave master.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Coie Watson said...

Excuse me, the 6yo with a grey wig.

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home