Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Slavery

Friday's my first midterm. It's for History 201 and contains essay questions and terms. Unfortunately for the terms we have to include dates in our answers and I'm horrible at remembering dates.
Today my history teacher raved on about buying clothing from third world countries. He said that we think its terrible to have slaves yet the workers in these countries make so little they're not much better off than slaves. In my opinion there's nothing unBiblical about having slaves. I can't find anyplace where God said that slavery is wrong first of all. On the other hand about the workers in third world countries... If we weren't buying what they make they wouldn't recieve anything and might even end up starving. So, is it more humane to buy stuff from them (and encourage it as Dr. Haslam says) or not(and let them be jobless)?

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Or should it even be an issue about humane or not? It's not for me...

The issue is "Can I get it cheaper?"

2:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Polka Dotted Pickles said...

Good luck! It must be a popular midterm day. I had two. :)

4:21 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

I've played for guild nationals six years in a row. ( I got into the top 5% each year, sometimes as high as the top 1.5%) I might try some other kind of competition later this year.

11:43 AM  
Blogger Neemund said...

I don't think its terrible to own slaves and I usually count as a 'we'. I'd vote to bring back slavery and indentured servatude; would greatly simplify bankruptcy laws. Plus there's alot of things that alot of people consider to be 'wrong' that aren't 'unbiblical'. If those kids weren't slaving away for 16 hours a day making Nike shoes their families wouldn't ever be guarenteed a next meal.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Tanya Nichols said...

The Lord does address slavery and asks that all you do, do it unto the Lord...Im not an advocate of slavery, repaying debt yes, working for a living yes, slavery no as my Savior has given to me freedom so I would do for those indebted to me with their life. All men created equal...My life is as important to Him as a slaves would be. A fair wage the lord loves...I also think that the cheapest isnt always the best, if that item is acquired in a way that would displease my Lord. IMHO. Tanya

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home