Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Music Misconceptions

Here are three common misconceptions about music that frustrate me.

1. Michael Buble is Jazz FALSE!!!
Michael Buble is from the genre of big band swing. Although swing is related to jazz, as they share a swing rythm, they are
different. If you'd like to hear modern jazz artists of today, try listening to Dave Koz, Norah Jones, or my personal favorite,
Jamie Cullum.

2. Rock with trumpets is NOT ska.
Ska is dependent on the style of guitar, not on whether or not there are trumpets or brass. In ska, the guitar is played with
mainly up-stroke rythms. (By the way, there is ska that has no brass section)

3. Anyone can play guitar, it's easy.
Well, anyone who wants to learn Mary had a Little Lamb on piano can, however, that doesn't make them a pianist. In the same
way, playing a three chord song on guitar doesn't make one a guitarist. Try learning a 3-part Bach invention on guitar and then
tell me that guitar is easy.


Please give your opinion on these topics, I'd love to hear what you think.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to learn guitar one day. I watched my Mom and then sister learn when I was younger. Their sore fingers were a give away that it is not easy physically. It is on my "to do" or "bucket" list. I like the idea of having a mobile instrument that can be used in so many social settings.

I played flute and sax. Now I want to get back to flute and add guitar and violin. Soon.....

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home