Friday, March 03, 2006

The Austier Academy


Ri took her first violin lesson on Monday. Since then, she's been practicing in our bedroom. Unfortunately, a beginner violinist doesn't sound quite like the ones you hear in a symphony. Her playing sounds more like some kind of animal being killed. Supposedly it gets better with practice. I sure hope it does, I've already gotten two headaches from it. For those of you who have never heard a squeaky violin, Lemony Snicket does an excellent job describing the sound of one in his book The Austier Academy. When I hear my sister practice, it reminds me of this book. Its my favorite of the Series of Unfortunate Events books and within the last week, it's become quite real to me.

3 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Hi! I linked to your blog from someone else's......

I've read all of Lemony Snicket's books, and I really like the 5th one as well. So I can envision perfectly the way your sister sounds. :)

4:53 PM  
Blogger Polka Dotted Pickles said...

Ha ha! Good luck. :) Maybe find some ear plugs for the first while.

8:15 AM  
Blogger EJB said...

that's my favorite of them so far too. Number six and Seven are pretty good too though.

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home